It's time for another level of bike fit.
I've been thinking a lot about our bike fit process lately, especially in regard to aero positioning for triathlon and time trial. Watching races, I've seen a lot of less-than-optimal performances out on the course from both pro and age grouper alike. Many of you, those looking for ways to get faster to stand up on the podium, or get that tough-to-achieve, but oh-so-close qualification, are leaving minutes out on the course with positions that are good, but perhaps could be better. The key is this, sometimes achieving the most aero and efficient position possible is a process. That's why we've come up with ERO Optimized.
At ERO, we've honed our fit protocols over time, through thousands of fits, and we've come up with what I believe is the best aero bike fit experience anyone offers. Of course, I'm biased, and there are many people conducting great fits out there, but there's no doubt ERO Sports is one of the recognized leaders in the world when it comes to fit, which is why we work with so many elite atheltes (6 Elite World Champions in 2016 alone). Recently, though, I've seen the need for us to offer more. Sure, our goal with every fit is to find your optimal position, and we do that pretty darn well, I believe. But, what if optimal on that particular day isn't as optimal as you could be? What if you're capable of a better position, a more powerful, aero, and efficient position? What if the equipment you use, and how you use your equipment could be refined to help you go faster than ever? What if all those were possible if we conducted a more optimized fit process over time? That's the new ERO Optimized service...pushing your limits and extracting every last piece of efficiency out of both you and your equipment for your best possible performance.
Here's what ERO Optimized will look like:
- Initial Triathlon-Specific or TT-Specific Fit - It all starts with a full bike fit inside the fit studio. If you're already an ERO client, and have been through the fit process with your Tri or TT bike, you get to skip this part and pay a nicely discounted price for the service. If not, then we're going to begin with a fit from scratch. After an initial look at your current position, we find what's optimal on your bike and/or our adjustable fit bike using the ERO fit process. Beyond obtaining your fit coordinates, this will also allow us to identify any parts you may need to purchase in order to move forward and achieve your desired position.
- Field Observation - Let's go outside and see how you ride! This is something that's been huge for us lately with our Ride-A-Long Service. We go outside and ride with you to see how you handle your position in the real world, which is often quite different than in the studio. We learn quite a bit from watching you ride, and this is where ERO Optimized really kicks into gear. You're leveraging all the knowledge we've gained through fit and aero testing over the years; it's being applied directly to you. We'll evaluate everything: position, bike setup, hydration/nutrition, clothing, helmet, drivetrain efficiency...everything. The first appointment outside is where we begin creating the list of what we're going to work on to get the very best out of you. Position changes will be the first priority, but no stone will be left unturned, and the plan will now be in place ready for implementation. Your first Field Observation appointment will take place one to two weeks after your initial fit.
- Adjustments and time - Now we begin to optimize that position. We're going to push you to the absolute maximum here. We're going to find out just how far we can take you to squeeze every last bit of performance out of you and your equipment. These changes will quite possibly require periods of adaptation, which is where the extended periods of time for the service kick in. We'll make adjustments, and then allow time for you to adjust. You might initially be uncomfortable, your power might go down at first, but we're going to push the limits and allow adaptation. With each session, we'll push a little further. Change and adapt...that's the name of this game.
- Equipment and Equipment Use - We've long since left the fit studio behind. This is about real world work and we're still making position adjustments, but now we're observing the effects those adjustments have had on your equipment's use and effectiveness. For instance, what clothing will now be best? Which helmet might now fit you best for an optimal aerodynamic advantage? How are you able to use your hydration and nutrition set up? It might be aero, but by using it, are you actually destroying those aero gains and costing yourself time? For instance, if one of your bottles is in a position optimized for aero, but not easily accessible, you may be tossing those aero gains out the window and then some just by reaching for it again and again over the course of your race. Maybe that bottle should be in a less aero position which is easier to reach and use? Overall, would that be not only more aero, but also more beneficial to your overall comfort and use? Those are the things we're going to begin optimizing. We'll even have multiple hydration systems available and ready for you to try as well as clothing, helmets, and storage systems.
Field observation and adjusments will be on-going for 6-8 weeks. Refining your position, optmizing the fit of all your equipment...we want everything to be maximized for your performance. It's what the best pros in the world are doing, and it's now what we'll do for you. At ERO, we have a unique knowledge base for such a service. We're literally the only service provider in Southern California who can offer this!
- Equipment purchases - Whatever you need to optmize your position and equipment, ERO will offer it to you at prices exclusive for our clients. Aero helmets, clothing, hydration/nutrition systems, bike parts, etc. Whatever you need, we'll make sure we save you money.
- Aero testing - Of course aero testing will be offered to confirm all the changes we make are the absolute most aero and efficient changes possible. Here's the cool news...soon, we'll be able to conduct that testing outdoors! That's right, aero testing while you ride your bike outside!
- Mechanical Service - We're not leaving mechanical changes up to shops who don't understand the definitition of optimized. ERO will offer an exclusive mechanical bike service to our clients. Whether it's re-cabling your bike, changing out parts, installing low-friction chains, pulleys, etc., we'll do it to insure quality. We look at your tire and tube combinations to make sure they're as efficient as possible (it makes a huge difference in case you didn't know). Even minor tune-ups will be offered. A properly maintained bike will be more efficient and faster, and we've heard you loud and clear. You invest time and money into your equipment, and you're tired of regular bike shop service quality. Online scheduling, 24 hour turn-around, and on-site or curb-to-curb pick up and drop off will be offered.
Pricing: $75 per hour (minimum 3 hours)
ERO Optimized is not for everyone. It's for those of you who want to extract as much performance out of yourselves as possible. It's for our clients who want their bike set-ups to be as efficient and reliable as possible. You don't need to be looking for a Kona qualification to take advantage of ERO Optimized, but this is not for beginners. It's next level stuff.
ERO Optimized cannot be scheduled online. To participate, call 1-855-243-8376, ext. 101. Spots are limited, and due to the time involved, team discounts will not be offered.